Friday, November 22, 2013

Lunch With Jerry

Posted by Big Party

Bruiser and I had the pleasure of attending the Gopher Pep Rally at the IDS Crystal Court today. Coach Kill, Athletic Director Norwood Teague, Goldy, the pep band, and even T. Denny Sanford were in attendance.  A small but passionate crowd showed up, Jerry ended with a bang, and now I just want to tear down my cube wall and accost the first thing I see wearing red (if you know where I work, you know how bad of an idea this is).

Below are a few notes from Jerry’s speech and a couple pictures from the event.  The notes are all from memory, so I apologize for any mistakes.  I'M ONLY HUMAN, AS FAR AS YOU KNOW.
Goldy's thoughts: "It's been like 10 whole minutes since someone asked me to spin my head. What gives?"
 Jerry on History:
  • This is the first meeting that both teams are 6 games above .500 since 1901, and the first time both teams have been nationally ranked coming into this game in over a decade. This is a big game for both programs.
  • We’re all a part of history: first time beating Nebraska in 50 years, first 4 game winning streak in 40.  Now we just need that axe.


Jerry Being Humble:
  •  Coaches are overrated.  Our success is due to the student-athletes, especially the seniors that have been through a lot and have done a great job buying into the program.
  • From day one, we have said that no one person would turn this program around.  The fans, alumni, and community can have a bigger impact than he and his coaching staff.
If you can't tell by the rest of our blog posts,
we really like Jerry around these parts.
Jerry on Protecting Our House:
  • He told a great story about working up in his office while intramural football was being played in the practice complex.  He looked down and was watching the action for a bit when he saw a young man playing while wearing a Wisconsin hat. Coach Kill went down to the field, took the hat off the kid's head, handed him a Gopher hat and said "I'm going to be up in my office all night, and you better be wearing this hat when I look down here."
  • There isn’t going to a lot of red in the stands because you guys did a great job of buying all the tickets.
  • We need it loud. “We don’t want the 12th man, we want the 13th, and 14th…”
  •  When Wisconsin has the ball on offense, you better make it so they can’t hear the snap count.  I want them to know where they’re playing.
  • We need you guys ready for the game tomorrow, so I give you permission to go ahead and get started tonight. 

Other notes:
  • I wish T. Denny would have pulled out his wallet full of Benjamins and made it rain like Pacman Jones.
  •  Any lost souls on the U of M campus looking for a father figure should seek out

    Norwood Teague.
      He seems like a guy who would be stern but fair, wise beyond his years, and tender when he needed to be.  Almost like a businessman version of Ron Swanson.
  • I think I’m pretty plugged-in, but I didn’t know this was happening until about an hour and a half before it started.  I wonder how many more Gopher fans would have shown up with a little better communication.
  • Speaking of communication, the IDS folks need to get their PA system figured out.  I can imagine it was a little tough to hear the speakers up in the concours.
Well, it’s 5 o’clock somewhere.  I think I might blow off the rest of the afternoon and start preparing for the game tomorrow.  If my boss pushes back on this, I’ll just tell them to take it up with Jerry Kill.


I can be your father figure, I have had enough of crime;
I will be the one who loves you, till the end of time.

4 comments:

  1. Damn right! I should've given you photo credits for the last 2 pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me feel both extremely good, and terrible that I didn't make the effort to get downtown. I just drew a "W" on my wall and punched a hole right through it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I tell my wife that Jerry told me it was okay to get started tonight?

    ReplyDelete