Thursday, September 19, 2013

Keep coaching, Coach

Posted by Higgy

Me and Coach Kill at an August scrimmage.
Dear Coach Kill,

Thank you for all you've taught myself - and the general public - about epilepsy during your three years as the head football coach at my alma mater, the University of Minnesota. I hope you've already made a full recovery from your seizure Saturday at halftime of the Gophers' win over Western Illinois, and that you're ready to lead our team to another win this weekend against a good San Jose State team.

I'm writing you today to let you know, from one fan's perspective, you're making a huge impact on the field and beyond. Your latest medical complications have drawn - if it's possible - even more media attention than the others during your tenure at Minnesota. Some of the reports include empathy and compassion ... some don't. But most of them have centered on one prevailing question: should you continue to coach? Some have even been presumptuous to answer the question for you and your boss, Athletic Director Norwood Teague.

I'm writing so you know there are fans out there that support all your decisions, and don't believe your resignation due to the effects of epilepsy is what's best for any of us, despite the suggestions by numerous columnists. In fact, I hope you continue to coach my beloved alma mater for many reasons related to football, and for many that are even more important.

I was there, in my usual seat in Section 117, on that hot September afternoon when you suffered a seizure during the closing moments of a tough loss to New Mexico State. I witnessed most of it from across the field. I knew you were a cancer survivor, but I was not aware of your epilepsy at the time. I was one of the thousands of fans who sat stunned, silenced. I was naive and fearful, helpless and terrified, all at once.

Some of my group waited out the traffic after the loss with a postgame tailgate. Not me. I needed to go, traffic jam or not. I got in my car, sat bumper-to-bumper between our tailgate lot and the I-94 on-ramp, and got home as soon as I could. Witnessing your seizure put me in a funk for the remainder of the weekend and much of the coming week. I was concerned for your health, for your family, for your staff and players, and for the scores of Gopher fans like myself who were enthusiastic about the start of you tenure as our head coach, and suddenly faced the worst kind of unknown.

However, like a lot of people, I've been learning since then thanks to your coaching. My education continued when our group attended a spring practice session in April. We were fortunate enough to be there the day you welcomed the Epilepsy Foundation of Minnesota as your special guests, and your postgame talk to simultaneously lifted up your team, the fans and, most importantly, those kids suffering from the same affliction as you. You told those kids over and over that they could achieve their dreams. You convinced me they could, and I'm willing to bet those kids walked away from that practice more confident than ever. Now, in the wake  of the events of the past week, I hope you remember the important message you delivered that day and can heed your own passionate advice.

As the 2013 season drew near, there were several tremendous articles about your ongoing battle with epilepsy and your work to raise awareness of the affliction. ESPN's Rick Reilly wrote a great column that even referenced the spring practice I just mentioned. The Star Tribune's Joe Christensen also wrote an in-depth piece that shed a lot of light on the details of your condition, which must have required you and your family to open up about your epilepsy in a way you hadn't to that point. I'm glad you did, because it helped those of us paying attention to continue our education.

Saturday, you unfortunately succumbed to another seizure at the start of halftime. I didn't witness this one, as I had already gone up to the concourse. I learned of it from my more Twitter-savvy friends when I returned to my seat. This time, the feeling was different, thanks to your coaching between 2011 and now. The fear was replaced with familiarity and preparation.

That day, it became apparent your work is paying off. Your coaches and team came out for the second half and supremely executed the game plan - without their head coach - to pull away for a comfortable win. Before the second half kicked off, I took one quick moment to myself and said two short prayers - one for your health and one for your family - and then I did what I think you would have wanted me to do. I returned my focus to cheering the Gophers on to victory. So did the rest of my crew, and the rest of the fans in The Bank.

You've talked about how your coaching staff and your players are prepared to proceed with the game plan in the event of a seizure. Saturday proved that to be true. Saturday also proved the fans have finally caught up. Some of the members of the media still don't know the game plan, so your coaching isn't completely done. But keep going and they'll get there, because they've got the right man to coach them up.

Keep coaching us, Coach. We're making progress. The program is headed in the right direction. The fans have bought in and are behind you, in good health and bad. We believe in what's going on, and our conviction in the team and in you is NOT conditional.

Over the years, I've had countless people tell me that, as a Gopher fan, I should temper my expectations. That pisses me off. We should aspire for greatness. A winning record. A New Year's Day bowl. Great recruiting classes. Continual facility improvements. A B1G Championship. A trip to Pasadena. Impeccable health for our head coach.

The belief that we can eventually get there ... we owe that to you, Coach. We see you fighting, and we're ready to fight with you. We know that if we stumble, you'll be there to pick us up and keep pushing us forward. Now it's our turn to do the same for you. Let's continue to work, continue to learn and let's continue that forward progress. Continue to lead, Coach, and we'll continue to follow.

Ski-U-Mah.

Sincerely,
Matt Higgins
Minneapolis, Minn.

No comments:

Post a Comment