Thursday, September 19, 2013

Classy response to unclassy column

Posted by Constable Butler

My letter to Nancy Barnes, the Editor and Senior VP at the Star Tribune, sent around noon Monday (Sept. 16, 2013). She issued a blanket apology to Star Tribune readers in response to the hundreds if not thousands of similar letters they have received. Unfortunately, the subject (Jim Souhan) couldn't muster more than a weak non-apology on his blog.

Dear Ms. Barnes, 

I am a loyal Star Tribune reader and advocate for maintaining a strong,independent 4th branch in our country.  I support freedom of the press and free speech rights.  I believe it's important to have strong local newspapers and other media outlets in order to have an informed public.  I also believe journalists have a responsibility to be thoughtful in how they exercise those rights and to choose their words carefully.

In columnist Jim Souhan's recent column regarding University of Minnesota football coach Jerry Kill's seizure during the September 14 game, he demonstrated a hurtful, insensitive,and unprofessional attitude toward not just Coach Kill but also the many thousands of Minnesotans and millions of Americans who live with epilepsy and other serious medical conditions or disabilities.  

I may disagree with Mr. Souhan over the question of whether a football coach can compete successfully while managing a serious medical condition, but I concede he has the right as a member of the sports media to raise that question.  However, I believe Mr. Souhan went much too far in moving beyond the question of whether someone with a serious health condition could coach a football team into opining that the public should not be subjected to seeing someone have a seizure, an occurrence that happens millions of times per year in public and private settings.  

I am lucky enough to have a family with no major health concerns or disabilities that we are presently aware of and I hope that both you and Mr. Souhan are as fortunate as I am.  But we live in a world where many people don't have that luxury and I hope we can live in a world where we allow people the opportunity to attempt to overcome their challenges without fear of ridicule for having a medical episode occur in public.  

I believe that Mr. Souhan's statement that "No one who buys a ticket to TCF Bank Stadium should be rewarded with the sight of a middle-aged man writhing on the ground" warrants a public apology by Mr. Souhan to Coach Kill, the University of Minnesota, and to the thousands of Minnesotans who struggle with epilepsy.

Sincerely,
Ted Butler
Andover, MN

1 comment:

  1. Too bad Nancy Barnes likely ran away to Houston before she had a chance to read this tremendous (Copyright: Tim Brewster) post. I'd be constantly looking for a new job if I had to manage boobs like Reusse and Souhan.

    ReplyDelete