Monday, September 30, 2013

Big Party's B1G Word of the Day

Posted by Big Party

Littoral
lit·to·ral (adjective) - on or near a shore, especially the zone between the high and low tide marks

I found myself standing on the bank of a mighty river, watching the water rush by me.  There was serenity in the violent current, and I lost myself in a meditative state, staring deep through the surface and trying to metaphysically touch the bottom.  Then, another big rush of wind came through and I had to grab the tailgate tent pole so our shelter didn’t blow away.
With Floyd headed South again, the Classy Gentlemen
focused their celebrating on a 30th birthday surprise.
The mini-Mississippi I’m referring to was flowing right through Lot 37 during the not-so-mini-monsoon that blessed all of the tailgaters on Saturday.  It was probably the most miserable weather day to hit a Gopher tailgate since The Bank opened. Many a tent were lost that day, but the Classy Gentlemen and friends were able to work together to hold strong and prevent a rush of opposing force from making it a complete disaster.  It’s too bad that the same could not be said about our beloved Gophers.
I’m going to go light on the analysis today since Higgy and Butler generally pay a little better attention than I do.  Also, I decided not to take any notes this week after what happened last time. 
Things I liked:
     · The Gophers defense did a pretty good job digging in their heels when Iowa got near the goal line. Obviously, they struggled to get the Iowa offense off the field between the 20s and forced only 2 punts, but they did keep them out of the end zone on 5 trips deep into Gopher territory.  Classic bend but don’t break.  If the offense would have been moving the ball at all, it might have worked.
     · The pass catchers actually seemed to do a pretty good job creating separation on their routes.  They just needed the balls to get there.
     · Excellent work on the meats, Flony.  I’ll be dreaming about “Meat Floyd” for weeks.
     · I’m turning 30 soon (too soon), and that old jerk Curly is already on the wrong side of that scenario by a few days.  My wife Kara and Curly’s girlfriend Kate did an amazing job of putting together a day full of surprises for us, including a birthday card from Goldy, a delicious dinner at Ginger Hop, and  a surprise party at 612 Brew.  Thank you so much ladies!  It turned out to be a pretty fantastic day in spite of the weather and lack of enjoyable football.

Things I didn’t like:
    
· The battle in the trenches. It wasn’t even close. Our DTs should not be making tackles 5 yards downfield, but that was the only time they could even get close to touching the free running Weisman.  Amazing how good the Iowa line could play once they finally got rid of all of the Ferentz boys.
    
· QB accuracy.  There will be plenty of words written about the brewing QB controversy in every news outlet that is even aware of the Gophers, so I’ll leave this discussion to the so-called experts.  The jury is still out for me.
     · Whoever the heck owns the 1st row tickets in 117. It is guaranteed to be filled with opposing fans for every big game.  We should really send a letter to the Gopher Athletic Dept. to have them take the tickets away from whatever Benedict Arnold owns those seats. THE STATE OF MINNESOTA CLAIMS IMMINENT DOMAIN OVER YOUR SEATS, A-HOLES!  The police had to actually be sent to our section to break up a heated argument between a Gopher fan that looked like Santa Claus and a dirty Iowa fan in row 1 that stole Beau Bridges’ haircut.  I don’t know who started it, but I know who I wanted to finish it (Hint: Not Faux Bridges).
I’m sure many Gopher fans found themselves on their own metaphorical bridges or littoral regions Saturday night, pondering taking the plunge into the icy waters and end all of the heartache.  Back away from the edge my brothers and sisters of Minnesota.  There are still opportunities to grab some wins on the schedule and make it to another bowl game.  All is not yet lost.
It could be worse. You could be turning 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment