Friday, October 25, 2013

Classy Predictions - Nebraska at Minnesota

Posted by the Section 117 Classy Gentlemen

I believe it was 21st century philosopher
Sean "Puffy" Combs who said:
"It's all about the Benjamins, what."
Today we begin a new weekly venture at Recession Proof - Classy Predictions. Our hectic lives don't allow all of us to blog as much as we'd like, so this will allow everyone to offer a brief prediction and a few thoughts about the upcoming game each week. Then we'll take a look back next week at who's prediction was classiest. Expect a lot of optimism, some good quick thoughts on the upcoming game and some occasional humor and weirdness mixed in.

If you want to offer your own Classy Prediction, or tell us who you agree with and who you disagree with, please do so in the comments below! We've got four picking Minnesota, three picking Nebraska and one falling asleep mid-pick. Hopefully, the majority is right and the optimistic bunch can rub their faith in the faces of the naysayers. Isn't that what predictions and sports are all about?

We're gearing up for our annual limo game tomorrow, so we have a lot to do. Tying bow ties. Organizing our various wealth. Shining shoes. Making riot punch. So you'll excuse us if this is brief. But here are the first Classy Predictions from the Section 117 Classy Gentlemen.

CLASSY PREDICTIONS - NEBRASKA AT MINNESOTA
OCT. 26, 2013 - 11 A.M. - TCF BANK STADIUM

BRUISER: Nebraska 27, Minnesota 23
Yes, I picked the Gophers to lose.  So what … wanna fight about it?  I envision the Gopher defense battling hard for 3 to 3 ½ quarters and Phillip Nelson, Maxx (Double X) Williams, and the rushing attack keeping this one within reach for most of the game.  However, I don’t see the Gophs pulling out the ‘W’ against a more talented and physical Cornhusker team.  Here’s to moral victories and a classy pre-game limousine ride around the beautiful Twin Cities while the Nebraska fans discuss crop yields and fail to grasp the fact that a purely farm-based economy isn’t recession proof.  All things considered beyond the football game, Minnesota is still the winner here.

BIG PARTY: Minnesota 22, Nebraska 20
Philip Nelson connects with a Drew Wolitarsky for a TD in the 2nd quarter, and Hawthorne drills his 5th FG of the day late in the 4th for the win.  Despite public statements that suggest otherwise, Coach Claeys does indeed go with a QB rotation, which keeps the Husker defense on their heels and allows Minnesota to control the clock with strong running and play-action passing game.  8th year senior Taylor Martinez can’t scrape off the rust from his 15th career injury to get the Nebraska offense going, and  Kellen ties Coach Kill for most photographed person in attendance.
 
FLONY: Minnesota 23, Nebraska 21
Taylor Martinez might play this week. Taylor Martinez is the collegiate Uncle Rico when it comes to throwing motions. It's Phillip Rivers ugly. That being said, the Gophs are aided by a nice home field advantage and some key turnovers, namely the late INT Martinez throws to setup a game winning FG. Huzzah!
 
 
 
 
MAGSH: Nebraska 24, Minnesota 19
I feel a missed extra point coming on for the Gophers, not sure why. But I also don’t think it’ll make a difference against the Luke Recker of college quarterbacks. The most difficult decision I had to make in this prediction is whether to wear my Gophers formalwear or my Mike Ditka costume. I’m leaning formalwear, but that doesn’t mean I can’t keep the mustache for an extra day.
 
 
 
BROOKS MAGSH: Minnesota 5, Nebraska 3
I haven’t learned to count yet, but I’m fairly certain I can hold up this many fingers on each hand. No matter what happens, I’ll be pretty happy so long as I get to point to and yell at Goldy.
 
 
 
 
MELISSSA MAGSH: Minnesota zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Now on week 23 of pregnancy No. 2, fetus Lady Magsh has Melissa feeling like she just stepped off a pregame limo at all times, so score predictions will be few and far between.
 
 
 
 
 
RAP: Minnesota 31, Nebraska 24
Most would offer some statistical analysis to back up such an upset prediction. As a Minnesota sports fan I gave up using numbers to justify my optimism long ago. Ski-U-Mah.
 
 
 
HIGGY: Nebraska 34, Minnesota 23
I really, really want to be optimistic. I want to believe last week's win at Northwestern was a sign of things to come. I hope our defense can stop the run and the offense can put up more than 20 points. However hopeful and optimistic I am in my maroon and gold heart, I'm going to make this pick with my head. I see too many similarities between Nebraska and Iowa, and we all know how that went. Our offense hasn't put up more than 20 points in B1G play yet. I think we start to close the gaps against the conference's upper echelon teams, but I still think we've got some work to do before knocking off a team like the Huskers. And boy do I hope I'm wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment